Even though we are living in electronic world now, postal services have still continued to be largest mode of Communication in India. In many rural parts of India, postal services are the only communication medium. Indian Postal Department is integral part of Nation which brings us closer to each other.
1) The Department of Posts celebrates the National Postal Week from October 9-15, starting with World Postal Day on October 9.
National Postal Day is celebrated on 10 October every year.
2) As of 31 March 2011, the Indian Postal Service had 154,866 post offices, of which 139,040 (89.78 %) were in rural areas and 15,826 (10.22 %) in urban areas.
3) Indian Postal Department is serving the country for over 150 years.
4) India has been divided into 22 postal circles, each circle headed by a chief postmaster general.
5) In addition to the 22 circles, there is a base circle to provide postal services to the Armed Forces of India. The base circle is headed by a Director General, Army Postal Service (with a rank of major general)
6) Post office, founded in year 1983, at Dakshin Gangotri in Antarctica is first Indian Post office which is outside Indian Territory.
7) In India, PIN (Postal Index Number) System started in year 1972.
8) In India, Speed Post service was started in 1986 and Money Order system was started in 1880.
9) The highest post office in the world is in Hikkim, Himachal Pradesh, India at a height of 15,500 ft (4,700 m) (postal code 172114).
10) Postal life insurance began on 1 February 1884 in India.
11) Postal Staff College is situated in Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh.
Share this post and like us to get great stuff always.